Ebook Central

Welcome to the Ebook Central Forum. You are invited to help us improve LibCentral by posting, commenting and voting on ideas. ​

All we require is your name and a professional (work) email address then you are ready to submit, review and vote. Our Ebook Central Forum is open for all Ebook Central users.​

Tips:

• For customer support or to report a bug, please visit support.proquest.com
  • An idea can be deleted if you’ve submitted it and no one has voted or commented on it.​

We will read every post, although we may not be able to respond to every idea or comment submitted. This information will provide our development team with valuable input on priorities for Ebook Central improvements.​

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make the Bookshelf function shareable across institutions

The Bookshelf function is a brilliant function of Ebook Central. I work in a support role for Jisc, and we use Ebook Central to host our collection of e-books for FE. I created several Bookshelves to divide our collection into subject and qualification areas, but was disappointed to learn that I would not be able to share these with different organisations, I could only share them within Jisc. This is disappointing because it would be a fantastic support mechanism for Jisc's librarian members in the UK. Our members often don't have the time to create these Bookshelves themselves, and therefore this great tool…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

12 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ebook Central license upgrade pricing relates to historical spend

When upgrading to an unlimited license, it should be taken into account when the institution has previously paid for multiple 1 or 3 user licenses.

In these cases the institution should be invoiced for the difference between the total spend to date on licenses for that title, rather than the current model of the difference between the unlimited user license and the cost of a single 1 or 3 user license.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Ordering and Invoicing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Refine Your Search by Publishers

We need a search facet of publisher at "Refine Your Search" in LibCentral.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  3 comments  ·  Acquisition Catalog  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Find alternate solutions to manage downloads.

Find alternate solutions to manage downloads. Our license is with you, not Adobe. We should not have to give Adobe our employees' data in order for employees to be able to download fulltext books we have licensed from you.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ebook Central turnaway messages

The existing turnaway message that users are given is hidden in not very clear text, in the middle of the screen, amoungst other things. a student with sight issues flagged this as hard to see, and they are right.

The current message of 'All copies are currently in use' should be in bold, or make much clearer in any other way.

Even the ability to customise this message would be useful.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Remove Non-Linear from current upgrade hierarchy; give it its own setting.

We have auto-upgrade enabled, with the expectation that a title will upgrade from one stable limited-user model to the next: 1u->3u->UU. Currently, NL is included in the auto-upgrade hierarchy: 1u->3u->NL->UU.

This is really inappropriate; NL is a very different sales model from the other three, since you can run out of uses. It's especially problematic if overuse of a 3u has triggered the upgrade - that indicates really heavy use, and really heavy use will run down an NL license very quickly - thus potentially replacing 3u access with no access at all. That's not an "upgrade".

NL is, however,…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Ordering and Invoicing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for your feedback on this issue. Is this primarily an issue only with upgrades or also with autopurchases? I’d like to best understand the scope of the problem, and look forward to all additional feedback from those affected. Keep those great ideas and thoughts coming!

7. Message field of request form should not be an optional

Currently the message field on a request form for mediated-DDA is optional but many administrators want users to put comments. So I request administrators can select it's optional or mandatory.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DDA and Profiling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion. We are currently reviewing this request and gathering additional details about this feature.

In the meantime, please continue to provide more feedback and we welcome your votes!

8. Add Price Limit for Extended Access Upgrades

We need a way to control the automatic Upgrade purchase via Extended Access if the cost over a specified amount.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Access Permissions & System Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on this potential enhancement. We are currently reviewing this request, and gathering additional information. In the meantime, please continue to provide more feedback and we welcome your votes! We will keep the status updated of the project update here. Happy voting!

9. Customizable Purchase Hierarchy

We would like the ability to customize our autopurchase hierarchy, because our preference of Access Model does not match the Purchase Hierarchy for Ebook Central

Also, we require the ability to exclude select Access Models so they are never purchased.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DDA and Profiling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Readership Level to DDA profiling

We would like to be able to profile by readership level, so that it is easy to filter out non-academic content which we do not want to acquire.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  DDA and Profiling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Bulk update Book Level Permissions for a set of owned ebooks

We would like to have the ability to run a job to bulk update/change the Download Days and Online Reader Loan Days in the Book Level Permissions parameters for a list of owned ebooks. Ideally, this would be for both making initial changes to the individual book permissions and for reverting the permissions back to the default general settings.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Access Permissions & System Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Notifications when a patron is blocked

We recently had an academic blocked by PEC because he downloaded in excess of 100 titles in a month. We were not aware of any blocks in Proquest, and neither the library nor the patron were notified of the block; his access was just limited without explanation. We were informed that Proquest would remove the block at the end of the month, but that was not communicated either. A notification system needs to be in place if patron access is going to be affected.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Administration and User Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on this potential enhancement. We are currently reviewing this request, and gathering additional information. In the meantime, please continue to provide more feedback and we welcome your votes! Please keep checking the Exchange for further status updates.

13. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Acquisition Catalog  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently reviewing this request, and gathering additional information. In the meantime, please continue to provide more feedback and we welcome your votes! Please keep checking the Exchange for further status updates.

14. Be able to select which user model to upgrade - not always the lowest access model.

When choosing to upgrade via LibCentral, and if you already have more than one user model (e.g. a 1U and a 3U), we need to be able to select which model to upgrade. i.e. Be able to chose if you upgrade the 3U or the 1U depending on your needs. Currently you can only upgrade the lowest access model. if an unlimited becomes available, you must first upgrade the 1U instead of being able to upgrade your 3U (and therefore pay a smaller upgrade price).

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Ordering and Invoicing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Information about titles that have been added to bookshelves by students before the titles are withdrawn from Ebook Central subscriptions

When titles are withdrawn from our Ebook Central subscription, we have no way to knowing if any of the titles that we will lose access to have been added to a student bookshelf (where notes and chapters have been highlighted). Students also do not get notified and may lose access to the title with all highlighting / notes accompanying the text it relates to. I would like to propose that users get some form of notification prior to withdrawal if the title is part of their personal bookshelf to give them an opportunity to save the notes and also that…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Administration and User Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Is it possible to export libCentral's reports to XLS and not only .csv and MARC as it is the case?

i can't have my export directly in xls i have it only in .csv and must do some manipulations to get it in correctly excel

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Expand autopurchase price limit options to be cumulative for a title

Currently, the extended access autopurchase price limit only applies to a single automatic purchase.

It would be helpful to have a cumulative price threshold that could be set at the title level that considered the total cost of both upgrades and autopurchases for each title.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Access Permissions & System Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. I'd like to get PDFs with my comments and highlights

I would like to be able to print out or create PDFs of Ebook Central’s books with the highlights and comments that I leave on my Bookshelf Account. Currently, the created PDFs cannot show any annotations I leave on the books. It will be very nice to have the option of displaying the highlights in the PDFs as they are added and showing the comments on either left or right side of the file.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Over-the-license-limit-ebook access

ProQuest allows patrons to use an e-book with limited licenses to have 5 minutes of access even if no license is available. I would suggest that such users get a notification that they have "limited" access to the book and a count-down click to show them the remaining access. If a license becomes available during those 5 minutes, a pop-up window can appear to inform them that they now have full access. If the five minutes are up, the patron should have the option to enter an e-mail or cell phone number to receive notification when a license becomes available.…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Expand Copy limit options to include both autopurchases and upgrades

Allow option for copy limit thresholds in extended access to be set to limit the total copies of autopurchases and upgrades combined by title.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base