Skip to content

ETD Admin

Welcome to the ETD Admin Forum. You are invited to help us improve ETD Admin by posting, commenting and voting on ideas.

All we require is your name and a professional (work) email address then you are ready to submit, review and vote. Our ETD Admin Forum is open for all ETD Admin users.

Tips:

• For customer support or to report a bug, please visit support.proquest.com
  • An idea can be deleted if you’ve submitted it and no one has voted or commented on it.

We will read every post, although we may not be able to respond to every idea or comment submitted. This information will provide our development team with valuable input on priorities for ETD Admin improvements.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

114 results found

1. Student author permission to view committee review page.

The number one question from students is who has approved their thesis. I have to look it up and tell them. If they could view it, that would be a tremendous help. We use this function for the final authorization of the document now that we have gone paperless. I would also like a separate spot like thesis adviser for department administrator in the ETD section.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Choose date format for reports

I use reports to add newly-received items to our ETD records spreadsheet, and every time I do so I have to reformat the dates.

YYYY-MM-DD is a useful format for lots of people but your average users tend to not like it. A selection of common date formats, and we can choose which one we'd like in our reports, would be great.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Option to hide "Ready for delivery" items on Active ETDs list

When displaying the Active ETDs list, a toggle for "include Ready for delivery" items would be helpful. RfD items accumulate very quickly, especially close to the deadline, but for various reasons we might not actually want to deliver them right away.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Improve ExLibris Esploro integration

My institution has a setup where when we deliver a submission through ETD Admin, it also sends the work, and some metadata, to ExLibris Esploro. Unfortunately, the info it sends still needs a lot of work in Esploro, especially for those of us who make MARC records for the submissions.

Obviously, there will always be issues, because Esploro's set up isn't perfect. But if there were a few internal notes fields for Administrators--ones we hopefully could map to some Esploro fields--that'd be helpful. Being able to export those fields in reports would be great too.

FTR, the fields that come…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Separate fields for title and subtitle

Having separate fields for title and subtitle would be helpful for users who use ETD Admin reports for cataloging, and/or who use ETD Admin with Esploro integration.

There is no foolproof way to validate that the author entered the field/s correctly, because the things that often indicate a subtitle could also have other meanings on occasion. But it could be very helpful if the system could look for certain characters (like a colon or a question mark) and then do a popup like this: "It looks like your title might include a subtitle. Please be sure to use the designated…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. In reports, put keywords in separate columns

Suggestion: Treat the keywords as 6 fields that export in 6 columns. If a keyword is left blank, it exports a blank column (so it doesn't screw up the overall arrangement of the report).

This could make things a little easier on those of us who use reports to assist in cataloging.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add "please don't copy/paste from PDF" note near Abstract text box

If you copy/paste the abstract from a PDF, it includes all the line breaks. If the abstract is on more than one page, it copies the page number(s) too.

My library uses ExLibris Esploro, and it's set up that when we deliver something to Proquest, it imports automatically to Esploro. So, if the abstract is full of line breaks, we have to fix them by hand at some point. If we can have the student take care of that instead by telling them not to copy/paste from the PDF, would be nice.

Edit to add: This is the page I…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Auto lock ETDs after student submission

Enable an auto lock feature after students submit

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Data from "Minor/Major Revisions" to be included in the email notifications we receive when student's submit a revision

Currently, when students submit a revision, we receive email notifications letting us know that the student revised their ETD. The email provides a link to ProQuest where we can access the newly submitted PDF.

I would like to suggest an idea for these email notifications to include the data from the minor/major revision we requested so that prior to viewing the ETD, we are reminded of the details of the revision we requested for the student to make.
    Or if that's not possible, maybe a link that goes to the "View Decisions" page so we can review the original request…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Capability to prevent a student from withdrawing their submission when in Ready to Deliver Status

Add a capability to prevent a student to from withdrawing their application when it is in the Ready For Delivery status. Allow only Administrators the capability to withdraw an application when in the Ready For Delivery Status. From our perspective when an application is at the Ready for Delivery Status the student is considered a current conferral candidate and should not be withdrawing their application at this status.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow Schools to Receive Standing Order invoices via email

Invoices for standing orders through ETD Admin are currently sent by postal mail.
    Please offers institutions the option to receive invoices electronically via email.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add possibility for 3 (or more) co-major professors

Increase from limit of 2 co-major professors. Idea presented on behalf of Iowa State.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Customization  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Provide option to omit specific committee member(s) from committee review workflow

Currently, the committee review feature requires all committee member to approve the submission.
    Provide schools with the flexibilty to select a subset of the committee members (e.g., only the committee chair) to be added to the committee review dashboard.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow administrators to add to the Department dropdown menu

At the moment, as far as I can tell, administrators have to contact ProQuest to add tot he Department dropdown menu that students choose from. It would be useful to be able to add options there myself.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow administrators a window of time to undeliver

If an administrator accidentally delivers a document without making some required change, it would be useful to have a window of time in which they are able to undeliver the documents themselves without having to contact ProQuest ETD

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Separate metadata details in email templates

It would be useful to have separate metadata tags for [Student First Name] and [Student Last Name], as some universities will list the student last name first in these emails.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Update Merge Field Verbiage in Email Template Editor

I LOVE having the ability to edit my own email templates! THANK YOU!

To make these new screens more user-friendly, I have some suggestions for updating language for merge fields that the end-user can include in their templates.

I have uploaded two image files that describe, in more detail, the request I have. Primarily, I want to request to distinguishing what exactly the merge fields are, and updating language slightly to more clearly define their intended use/output for the end-user.

For example:
    1: Distinguishing in more detail the difference between the Admin and Primary Admin fields, and then more accurately…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow students self-service option to modify ordered copies / copyright fees

Students can currently email or call ProQuest to modify their orders (for instance if they didn't order enough copies the first time), but it would be really helpful if some type of "modify order" button could be integrated into their dashboards for two specific cases:

1. When students decide to change their copyright status, they're often frustrated they can't just go in and do this or have us do it. Since this change would be made prior to delivery at the end of the semester, allowing students to have a self-service to add or remove the copyrighting option would give them…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Include replacement option for changed/deleted department names

If you change/delete a department name, all the submissions that had it end up with a blank department field. Having an option for all those submissions to either retain the old department info, or to get a new name that the user enters as free text (like "Old Department (Legacy)") would be great.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Include more fields in search criteria

It'd be great to be able to do more precise searches in preparing reports. If we could set up reports to just display on the screen, this would be a good way to do regular searches too. These are the fields I think could be useful, and some ideas on what I'm thinking for search mechanics:

Any value/Yes/No, could be in a box like Status and other criteria in Step 2 of the report creation:
    * Did the student enter an ORCID?
    * Is there an author's note to admin?
    * Are there supplementary files?
    * Is there an embargo?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here