Skip to content

Ebook Central

Welcome to the Ebook Central Forum. You are invited to help us improve LibCentral by posting, commenting and voting on ideas. ​

All we require is your name and a professional (work) email address then you are ready to submit, review and vote. Our Ebook Central Forum is open for all Ebook Central users.​

Tips:

• For customer support or to report a bug, please visit support.proquest.com
  • An idea can be deleted if you’ve submitted it and no one has voted or commented on it.​

We will read every post, although we may not be able to respond to every idea or comment submitted. This information will provide our development team with valuable input on priorities for Ebook Central improvements.​

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

82 results found

1. Include subtitles in display for items added to a bookshelf.

Items on an Ebook Central Bookshelf are displayed using the title only; the subtitle is omitted. This means that if items share a title it is difficult to differentiate them when they are on the same Bookshelf, for example items that belong to the same series.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Patrons can change the color of the page in the reader

Ability to change page colour to a more muted one, as plain white is hard on the eye over a long period, this function is already in many other digital readers.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Mediate Request library preferences

For mediated requests and the mediate request form, we also have our settings set as "No" for mediated requests, and yet the system overrides the library's expressed preferences for mediated requests by providing users a mediate request form when the user limit has been exceeded for a title. The library's expressed preferences should take precedence over the system.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. By adding information about the licence model on the Detail page

Improve usability by adding information on the Detail page for books purchased under a NL model that the options “Download PDF Chapter” and “Download PDF” in ToC does not work unless you first Download the book (check-out). As I was told when asking about it, this information is available in Libcentral. However, endusers does not have access to Libcentral. I would also suggest that you change “Download Book” on the Detail page to “Download Book (check-out)”. As a librarian I understand what check-out means and so does teachers and researchers, but necessarily not new students with low library skills. Think…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allowing only a specific email domain for account creation

Allowing only a specific email domain (the one of the institution) for account creation (via IP)

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow user to save ebook to more than one bookshelf from the book info page

On the info page ("Table of Contents and more") for an ebook, users can click the button to save the ebook to the bookshelf, but it's not possible to save it to an additional bookshelf from that same page. Users can go to the bookshelf and then copy the ebook to an additional bookshelf; it would be more intuitive if this were possible on the ebook info page as well.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Invert colors for accessibility

Those with dyslexia and eyesight problems have difficulty reading when the background is white and the letters are black.
    The online reader overrides the desktop inverse color for the reader, so it's not possible for me to invert the colors in the reader--so it's very difficult for me to read the text in the reader.
    For greater accessibility, it should be possible to invert the colors. Thanks!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Music Category?

We have recently signed up to ProQuest and love the resources. However when searching there is a great list of categories like Law, History, Science and Arts however Music is missing. Is there a way to put this in maybe under Arts?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Ability to create reading lists which then have a unified permanent proxied url

Ability to create a reading list which has with a single proxied URL would be useful.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Modify the label of "Settings" and "Language"

My client suggests it's hard for them to get back to original language settings from other language settings.
    Because they can't understand the meanings of other language label.
    So I have 3 options to resolve the issue.
    1.Put English menu next to original label. Ex. 設定:Settings, 使用言語:Launguage
    2.Put images to each menu. Ex. Gear mark for Settings, globe mark for Language
    3. Place a language setting menu to top page menu bar like a Web of science.
    These would help clients to understand the meanings intuitively.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As part of our ongoing commitment to a modern and intuitive platform, we have simplified and added icons to the global navigation bar. At present, these updates will only be visible on the Search Results page. However, as we progress with our updates, they will appear in additional locations throughout Ebook Central.

11. Allows users to move an ebook from one bookshelf to another

Users can copy an ebook to another bookshelf and remove the ebook from a bookshelf; both of these functions are very useful. A useful addition would be the option to move an ebook from one bookshelf to another, without having to copy it and then remove it from the original bookshelf.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Change the Availability Messaging on titles to be customizable

We would like to replace the current default availability message that occurs to patrons that have not signed in/authenticated, but have clicked on the ebook url link from library catalog or discovery layer. from "Sorry this book is not available. Please contact your librarian...' etc to another more meaningful message (for example)

"Please login to continue using this and many more Ebooks on ProQuest Ebook central portal"

If we can choose, we would rather have this workflow:
    a. Find a title through discovery MARC records search in our internal search – click on the link – observe the title record…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Override login throttle

Every couple of weeks, a student will contact me for assistance because s/he has been throttled after making too many attempts to log in with the wrong password. I'm able to reset the account's password easily, but the student must still wait 24 hours to log in, and most of the people who phone me aren't inclined to wait 24 hours. Therefore, my only solutions are to say "Sorry, you have to wait" or to delete the account and create a new one, which obviously isn't ideal when the student's bookmarked or highlighted content.

Could LibCentral's user-management system be configured…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Normalize Highlighting

Highlighting sentences is inconsistent where it either highlights the sentence continuously or highlights each individual word. The latter creates a distracting white lattice of un-highlighted space over the text which makes it very difficult to read.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add author names in ToC of editorial works

At the moment ToC doesn't show author names in case of editorial works.
    Example: Information Literacy and Social Justice, edited by Lua Gregory, and Shana Higgins, Library Juice Press, 2013. ProQuest Ebook Central

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When institutions own a 1U and NL copy that Availability in Ebook Central should state that multiple copies are owned.

We have titles with both 1U and NL user licences, but on the library catalogue the statement is "your library owns 1 x copy" which is misleading for users.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. To add Brazilian standard citation format

I would like to suggest the Brazilian standard citation format called ABNT-Associacao Brasileira de Normas Tecnicas, in order to avoid rejection from customers.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Disabling the scrolling page number

There should be an option to disable the grey page number box from constantly showing and then disappearing when using the online reader. It's distracting and it makes online reader inaccessible to us who have difficulties with visual attention.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Improvement of the EPUB format interface.

It would be great if the EPUB format interface can be changed to be as similar as possible as the most common ebook interface that the majority of ebooks in EBC has got. An example is to have the table of contents to the left.

The current interface for EPUB ebooks is not so easy to understand when the reader is used to the more common one.

We also think, when setting the downloads to 0 for an EPUB ebook, (due to the current covid-19 we want to do that, so that as many users as possible can read it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow folders we create to be re-arranged by the user.

Right now folders simply appear in the order created. I have many different ones, for classes and research projects. Sometimes an existing folder is too general with too many books, and I create "sub" folders, but I can't cluster them. I also can't move the folders that I'm currently using the most to the top so I don't have to keep looking for them.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base